Location: Medical Aid Station at Fort Hunter Liggett, CA
Qualifications: The Pharmacy Technician provides services under this contract shall perform the same clinical duties as those required of any military or government civil service Pharmacy Technician of similar experience assigned to the same unit.
Education: Successfully completed a program of formal education through the community college Level/technical school or formal military training (preferably a program accredited by The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and approved by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education).
Licensure/Certification/Registration: Possess and maintain a current unrestricted license to practice as a Pharmacy Technician in any of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification is desirable, but not required.
- Successfully completed a minimum 160 hours of externship training.
- Possess experience which has provided some familiarity of equipment and procedures involved in the safe and efficient filling of medication orders.
- Familiarity with medical terminology relating to anatomy and physiology, and disease states.
- No records of convictions involving any form of chemical dependency, previous convictions of felonious nature or any adverse actions pending by any Board of Pharmacy.
- Receive and process orders for prescriptions. Screen orders and prescriptions for accuracy, appropriateness, and conformity to laws and regulations.
- Receive and review prescriptions for pharmaceuticals. Determine type of substance, strength, dosage, and quantity to be dispensed in accordance with accepted practice and pharmacy standing operating procedures (SOPs). Coordinate with HCP to clarify issues or problems with dosing, interactions, or instructions.
- Obtain the pharmaceutical, prepares package labels, and visually inspects the medication in the bottle to be dispensed, and verifies appropriate medication, checks the printed label affixed to the container against the original prescription for correctness. When the prescription has been filled and labeled, container is set aside for a final check by the prescribing Health Care Provider (HCP).
- Provide instruction to patients on proper use of medications, referring questions requiring professional knowledge and experience to the Health Care Provider (HCP).
- Perform all outpatient functions with minimal supervision. Work independently in outlying medical facility.
- Prepare the full range of sterile products and performs pharmaceutical calculations for a variety of preparations. Responsible for the safe handling, preparation, storage, and disposal of dangerous drugs. Ensures strict adherence to sterile procedures and correct operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Receive, review, prepare, and fill Physician orders for intravenous (I.V.) solutions, other parenterals, inpatient unit dose orders, prescriptions, and bulk drug orders. Review parental orders for applicability and contact providers regarding abnormal dosing regiments or clinical indication.
- Perform final pharmacy check on sterile products and bulk drug orders in accordance with local policy.
- Review stock levels to ensure appropriate levels of pharmaceuticals are on hand to include critical care items. Complete the ordering, receiving and stocking shelves for pharmaceuticals. Prepare replenishment orders, receive incoming stock, check for discrepancies, and rotate stocks/supplies as necessary. Coordinate stock level changes as determined by unusual increases or decreases in demand and seasonal requirements. Call attention to short expiration dates and unusual appearance of items.
- Conduct medication storage areas inspections. Assist in educating staff on the proper storage, access, and security of pharmaceuticals.
- Maintain security and limited access of all pharmaceuticals. Participates in collection and review of quality assurance data.